- 2 eggs
- 165 gm caster sugar (¾ cup)
- 75 gm plain flour (½ cup)
- 75 ml milk
- 30 ml mirabelle eau-de-vie (see note)
- 520 gm blueberries (four punnets)
- 210 gm plain flour
- 150 gm unsalted butter, diced
- 40 gm caster sugar
- 1 egg, yolk and white beaten separately
- 1For sweet pastry, process flour, butter and 1 tsp salt in a food processor until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add egg yolk, then 1 tbsp iced water and process until pastry forms a ball. Knead for 30 seconds, then wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 2Preheat oven to 200C. Roll pastry out on a floured surface to 5mm thick and line a 28cm-diameter tart tin with a removable base, trimming excess pastry, then refrigerate for
30 minutes. Blind bake for 12 minutes or until just starting to colour. Remove from oven, remove baking paper and pastry weights, cool, then brush case with eggwhite.
- 3Beat eggs and sugar until pale and fluffy, add flour, milk and eau-de-vie, beating until smooth. Arrange berries in case, spoon egg mixture on top and bake for 20 minutes or until filling is set and pastry is golden. Cool, dust with icing sugar and serve with crème fraîche.
Note Mirabelle eau-de-vie is a clear plum-flavoured brandy. It's available from Vintage Cellars. If unavailable, substitute with normal brandy.
Drink Suggestion: Delicate Alsatian muscat. Drink suggestion by Andy Harris
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsMade in India: the designers and makers of BengaluruYesterday 4:59am