The size of your serving glasses will determine the size of the meringues you'll need to pipe to fit on top of these little individual pavlovas. In any case, it's okay to crush the sides a little bit to make them fit. Or you could serve this dessert like an Eton mess, crushing the meringues and folding them through the cream and blueberries to give a ripple effect.
- 6 eggwhites
- 250 gm caster sugar
- 2½ tsp cornflour
- 1½ tsp vinegar
Blueberries in syrup
- 225 gm frozen blueberries
- of ½ lemon, Finely grated rind
- 225 gm caster sugar
- 6 punnets fresh blueberries
- 900 ml pouring cream
- 300 gm crème fraîche
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 55 gm pure icing sugar, sieved, plus extra for dusting (1/3 cup)
- 1Preheat oven to 150C. Whisk eggwhites and a pinch of salt to soft peaks in an electric mixer. Gradually add one-third of sugar and whisk to combine, then gradually add remaining sugar and whisk on high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold through cornflour and vinegar, then spoon or pipe meringue into 10 rounds (see note) on two oven trays lined with baking paper. Reduce oven to 100C, bake pavlovas until lightly browned on the outside and cooked inside (15-25 minutes), turn oven off and cool completely in oven (1 hour).
- 2For blueberries in syrup, combine all ingredients except fresh blueberries in a heatproof bowl, cover with plastic wrap, place over a saucepan of simmering water and cook until mixture is syrupy and berries are deep purple (2 hours). Strain through a muslin-lined sieve (do not press solids), discard solids and refrigerate syrup until required. Just before serving, add fresh blueberries and transfer to ten 250ml serving glasses.
- 3For vanilla cream, whisk ingredients in an electric mixer until soft peaks form, then spoon over blueberries in glasses. Top each with a meringue, pressing to fit into tops of glasses if necessary, dust with icing sugar and serve.
Note Make the meringues 2cm smaller in diameter than your serving glasses. They'll expand slightly during baking to fit on top of your serving glasses.