- 6 pieces of beef bone marrow, cut 15cm long and split lengthways (see note)
- 6 thick slices of sourdough bread, toasted
Pickled eggplant salad
- 125 ml apple cider vinegar (½ cup)
- 75 ml light soy sauce
- 1½ tbsp caster sugar
- 2 Japanese eggplant, very thinly sliced
- 2 golden shallots, thinly sliced, placed in iced water for 5 minutes
- 1½ cups flat-leaf parsley, torn
- For drizzling: extra-virgin olive oil
- 1Preheat oven to 250C. For pickled eggplant salad, bring vinegar, soy sauce and caster sugar to the boil in a saucepan, add eggplant, then remove from heat and set aside to cool (30-40 minutes). Drain shallot, add to eggplant, toss to combine, then drain (discard liquid) and place in a bowl with parsley. Drizzle with olive oil, season to taste, toss to combine and set aside.
- 2Place bone marrow in a roasting pan, season to taste and roast until marrow is golden and cooked (15-25 minutes). Serve with toast and pickled eggplant salad.
Note Ask your butcher to cut and split your bone marrow for you.
Drink Suggestion: Off-dry chenin blanc Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Travel NewsNew art collections and shows worth travelling forYesterday 5:58am
- Food NewsGourmet Traveller taste tests McDonald’s Wagyu Beef BurgerYesterday 12:35am