Bonet is a like a crème caramel, but flavoured with coffee and chocolate, and with amaretti folded through. We've crumbled the biscuits into the base to keep more crunch.
- 60 gm brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- 200 ml double cream
- 400 ml milk
- 60 gm dark chocolate (65%-68% cocoa solids), finely chopped
- 2 tsp Dutch-process cocoa
- 40 ml dark rum
- 2 tsp espresso-strength coffee
- 200 gm caster sugar
- 125 gm amaretti, crumbled, plus extra whole amaretti to serve
- Crème fraîche, to serve
- 1Preheat oven to 160 C. Whisk brown sugar, eggs and yolks in a large heatproof bowl to combine. Set aside and whisk occasionally to dissolve sugar. Meanwhile, bring cream and milk to a simmer in a saucepan, add chocolate and cocoa and whisk until smooth. Pour onto egg mixture with rum and coffee, and whisk to combine. Once froth has settled, skim it from surface.
- 2Bring sugar and 150ml water to the boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar, then cook without stirring until a deepamber caramel (12-16 minutes). Remove from the heat and immediately pour caramel into a 24cm round baking dish at least 6cm deep (be careful, caramel will be very hot). Working quickly and holding dish with a tea towel, tilt and swirl the dish so sides are evenly coated. Cool at room temperature until caramel sets (10 minutes).
- 3Place dish in a roasting pan lined with a tea towel, pour custard into dish, then pour enough hot water into pan to come halfway up the sides of the baking dish. Cover with foil, prick a couple of holes around the edge for steam to escape, and bake until custard is set but retains a slight wobble in the centre (1 hour to 1 hour 20 minutes). Cool briefly, then refrigerate until set (2-2½ hours).
- 4To serve, scatter amaretti over base of bonet, then invert onto a platter, gently loosening bonet from sides of dish with your fingers if necessary. Serve with crème fraîche and extra amaretti.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsThe best places to visit in Queenstown, New ZealandYesterday 2:30am