- 8 blue mackerel fillets, pin-boned
- olive oil, For drizzling
- ½ Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 1½ tsp sumac
- 4 soft white rolls
- 1 cup (loosely packed) coriander
- lime cheeks, To serve
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp Sherry vinegar
- 1½ tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 80 ml vegetable oil (1/3 cup)
- 70 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon and ½ lime, Juice of
- 1For lemon-lime aioli, process yolks, vinegar, mustard and garlic in a food processor to combine, then gradually add oils in a thin steady stream, processing until thick and emulsified. Season to taste, add lemon juice and lime juice, refrigerate until required. Makes about 200ml. Remaining aioli will keep refrigerated for 1 week.
- 2Preheat a barbecue or char-grill pan to high heat. Drizzle fish with oil, season with sea salt, and barbecue skin-side first, turning once, until just cooked (2 minutes each side).
- 3Meanwhile, combine onion and sumac in a bowl and set aside. Halve rolls, spread bases generously with lemon-lime aioli, then divide fish among rolls. Top with onion mixture and coriander, season to taste, sandwich with tops and serve with lime cheeks.
Drink Suggestion: 2012 Cape Mentelle Semillon Sauvignon Blanc, Margaret River, WA. Drink suggestion by Maurice Terzini