- 1 large onion (about 200gm), finely chopped
- 300 gm speck, rind removed, finely chopped
- 90 gm (¼ cup) golden syrup or treacle
- 75 gm (1/3 cup firmly packed) brown sugar
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp hot chilli sauce
- 410 gm canned crushed tomatoes
- 400 gm canned cannellini beans, rinsed, drained
- 400 gm canned butter beans, rinsed, drained
- 400 gm canned borlotti beans, rinsed, drained
- 750 ml (3 cups) chicken stock
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- To serve: baby spinach and crusty bread
- 1Place onion, speck, syrup, sugar, mustard, sauces, tomatoes, beans and stock in a 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow-cooker. Cook, covered, over low heat for 9 hours, then uncover and cook for a further hour or until the mixture is thickened slightly. Season to taste.
- 2Add half the parsley, stir to combine and serve with baby spinach leaves and crusty bread and sprinkle with remaining parsley.
Note Recipes taken from The Australian Women's Weekly Slow Cooker 4 ($12.95) published by Bauer Media Group, available at selected newsagents and supermarkets. These recipes have been reproduced with minor GT style changes.OVEN VERSION
Prep + cook time 1¾ hours
1 Preheat oven to 180°C.
2 Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large flameproof casserole over medium-high heat, add onion and speck and cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or until browned lightly.
3 Add syrup, sugar, mustard, sauces, tomatoes, beans and stock, and bring to the boil. Cover dish, transfer to oven and cook for 1¼ hours or until sauce thickens. Stir in parsley and serve with baby spinach and crusty bread.