An absolute French classic served with lamb or mutton.
- 150 gm unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 6 desiree potatoes, peeled (about 1kg)
- 500 ml chicken stock (2 cups)
- 1Preheat oven to 180C. Combine 100gm butter and sugar in a medium saucepan, add onion and cook over low heat for 6 minutes or until soft, then increase heat to medium and cook for another 18-20 minutes or until caramelised. Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground white pepper.
- 2Using a mandolin, slice potatoes 3-4 mm thick, then arrange in a single layer in the base of a 2-litre capacity baking dish. Scatter with some of the onion mixture, then repeat with remaining potatoes and onion and season to taste between layers, finishing with potato.
- 3Meanwhile, bring chicken stock to the boil in a small saucepan. Pour over potatoes until just covered, then add remaining butter. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until potatoes are tender.