- 600 gm piece bacon or speck, cut into 4 thick slices
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 6 cloves
- 10 black peppercorns
- 1 onion, quartered
- 100 gm tamarind pulp
- 60 ml vegetable oil (¼ cup)
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 7cm piece ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 3 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 80 ml tomato sauce (1/3 cup)
- 200 ml plum sauce
- 80 ml fish sauce (1/3 cup)
- 1For breakfast sauce, place tamarind in a bowl, cover with 200ml boiling water and stand for 10 minutes. Heat oil in a large saucepan, add onion and garlic, cook over low heat for 10 minutes or until soft and beginning to caramelise. Using the back of a spoon press tamarind through a sieve, reserving liquid and discarding pulp. Add tamarind liquid to saucepan with remaining ingredients and simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes or until thick. Makes about 500ml. Sauce will keep, refrigerated in an airtight container, for up to 2 months.
- 2Place bacon in a large saucepan, add bay leaves, cloves, peppercorns and onion, cover with water and bring to the boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 hours or until tender. Serve bacon slices with breakfast sauce and zucchini fritters.
Note Serve this recipe with zucchini fritters.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsWhere to eat, sleep and visit in Melbourne right nowYesterday 8:00pm