Robust greens such as cavolo nero stand up well to a slow braise. Cooking cavolo nero in just olive oil and garlic is simply delicious, but the addition of ricotta salata and pancetta gives a welcome salty hit.
- 480 gm (about 2 bunches) cavolo nero
- 60 ml (¼ cup) olive oil
- 100 gm mild pancetta, cut into batons
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 125 ml (½ cup) chicken stock
- For grating: ricotta salata (optional, see note)
- 1Preheat oven to 160C. Pull the cavolo nero leaves away from the thick ribs, wash well and set aside.
- 2Heat oil in a casserole over medium-high heat, then cook pancetta and garlic until just golden (2-3 minutes). Add cavolo nero, stir to combine, add stock, stir again, cover with a lid or foil and braise in the oven until cavolo nero is very tender (1-1½ hours). Serve with ricotta salata grated over.
Note Ricotta salata is a firm, salted variety of ricotta, available from select delicatessens.
Drink Suggestion: Chunky, rustic red barbera. Drink suggestion by Max Allen