We've used Swiss brown and king brown mushrooms here because they retain a nice al dente texture when cooked. Serving the chicken with a side of our Hasselback potatoes makes for an excellent main course.
- 2 tbsp olive oil or lard
- 1 chicken (about 1.2kg), jointed
- 3 large golden shallots
- 250 ml aromatic white wine, such as pinot gris
- 300 gm mushrooms, such as Swiss brown and king brown, coarsely chopped
- 1 rosemary sprig, plus extra to serve
- 2½ tbsp crème fraîche, or to taste
- 1Heat 2 tsp olive oil or lard in a casserole over medium-high heat, add chicken and brown all over (6-8 minutes), then set aside. Add shallot to casserole and sauté until golden brown (6-8 minutes). Deglaze casserole with wine, scraping up the caramelised bits on the base, then return chicken to casserole. Cover with a lid or foil, reduce heat to low and braise, turning chicken occasionally, until cooked through (40-45 minutes).
- 2Meanwhile, heat remaining oil or lard in a frying pan over high heat, add mushrooms and rosemary, and sauté until golden and tender (2-4 minutes). Season to taste.
- 3Dollop crème fraîche onto chicken and allow it to melt down to form a sauce, moving chicken around a little to help it meld. Check seasoning, top with mushrooms and extra rosemary and serve.
Drink Suggestion: Classic chardonnay or pinot noir, or both Drink suggestion by Max Allen