This peasant-style dish is full of contrasts: the bitterness of the greens against the saltiness of the anchovy and capers, and the creaminess of the eggs against the crunch of the fried breadcrumbs.
- 80 ml extra-virgin olive oil (1/3 cup)
- 2 onions, cut into thin wedges
- 2 radicchio, outer leaves discarded, coarsely chopped
- 2 frisée, trimmed, leaves separated
- 30 ml red wine vinegar
- 150 gm day-old sourdough bread, coarsely torn
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
Anchovy and rosemary dressing
- 5 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp salted baby capers, soaked in cold water, drained
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tsp finely grated orange rind
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 60 ml extra-virgin olive oil (¼ cup)
- 1For anchovy and rosemary dressing, whisk ingredients in a bowl, season to taste, set aside.
- 2Heat half the olive oil in a large frying pan over low heat, add onion and stir occasionally until very tender (15-20 minutes), add radicchio and frisée and stir until wilted (3-4 minutes). Add vinegar and reduce by half (1 minute). Season to taste and keep warm.
- 3Heat remaining oil in a small frying pan over medium heat, add breadcrumbs and stir until golden (3-4 minutes), drain on absorbent paper and set aside.
- 4Bring a large shallow saucepan of lightly salted water to just below the boil over high heat, reduce heat to low. Carefully break eggs into saucepan and poach, spooning water over eggs, until cooked to your liking (3 minutes for soft-poached). Gently remove with a slotted spoon, drain on absorbent paper and keep warm.
- 5Divide braised greens between shallow serving bowls, top each with a poached egg, spoon over anchovy and rosemary dressing, scatter with breadcrumbs and serve hot.
Drink Suggestion: Bold southern Italian red such as an aglianico. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesBeef koftas with green couscous and pistachio nutsYesterday 12:00am