- 125 ml extra-virgin olive oil (½ cup)
- 2 red onions, thickly sliced into rings
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 4 lamb chump chops
- 4 lamb loin chops
- 400 gm canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 700 gm chicory, coarsely chopped
- 250 ml dry white wine (1 cup)
- To serve: crusty bread
- 1Preheat oven to 200C. Heat half the olive oil in a large cast-iron casserole over medium heat, add onion, garlic and oregano and sauté for 3-5 minutes or until soft, transfer to a bowl.
- 2Brown lamb chops in casserole over medium heat for about 3-5 minutes, add onion mix, tomatoes and tomato paste, stir and cook for 3 minutes. Add chicory and remaining olive oil and cook for 10 minutes or until chicory wilts. Add wine and 2 cups water, season generously and bring to the boil. Cover and bake for 1 ¾-2 hours or until tender. Serve with crusty bread.
Drink Suggestion: Full-bodied cabernet. Drink suggestion by Max Allen