The combination of potatoes with salt cod, tomato and olives is very Portuguese, but this dish detours south with the Moorish addition of cumin and coriander. Serve with sautéed greens, such as chicory, cabbage or watercress. You'll need to begin this recipe a day ahead.
- 50 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp each smoked paprika and ground coriander
- 800 gm canned whole peeled tomatoes
- 650 gm (about 4) waxy potatoes, such as Dutch cream or bintje, scrubbed, coarsely chopped
- 300 gm salt cod, cut into 3cm pieces and soaked in several changes of water overnight, drained
- 100 gm large green olives, such as Sicilian or verdale
- 1Preheat oven to 180C. Heat oil in a large deep flameproof casserole, add onion, stir occasionally over low heat until caramelised (20-25 minutes), stir in spices, add tomato, break up with a wooden spoon and bring to a simmer. Add potato, cod, olives and 250ml water, cover and bake until potatoes are tender (35-40 minutes), season to taste.