- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1.8 kg beef short ribs, cut in half through the bone (see note)
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds, coarsely crushed
- 175 gm chipotle chillies in adobo, coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp oregano leaves
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) olive oil
- 1 bunch coriander, plus extra leaves to serve
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 green jalapeño chilli, coarsely chopped
- 1Heat oil in a casserole over medium-high heat and brown ribs (5-7 minutes). Add cumin and stir until toasted (1 minute), then add chillies, vinegar, garlic, oregano and 100ml water. Bring to the boil, season, cover and braise over low heat until beef is falling off the bone (3 hours). Uncover and cook until beef starts to caramelise (30 minutes). Keep warm, then pull the meat from the bones to serve.
- 2For coriander and lime sauce, process ingredients in a blender until smooth.
- 3Heat a frying pan over high heat, add tortillas one at a time and cook, turning once, until brown (2-4 minutes). Wrap in a tea towel to steam.
- 4Serve beef with tortillas and top with cheese, onion, tomato and coriander, with coriander and lime sauce to the side.
Note Ask your butcher to cut the ribs to size. Corn tortillas and queso fresco, a fresh, white soft Mexican cheese (if it's unavailable substitute soft feta), are available online from Fireworks Foods.
Drink Suggestion: Gutsy red grenache. Drink suggestion by Max Allen