This cocktail is perfect for summer entertaining. Top it up with as much soda water as you like, but make sure you have plenty of crushed ice. For ease of serving, whiz plenty of ice in a food processor until crushed and store it in the freezer. Serve in ice buckets with a jug of prepared cocktail mix to the side and soda water for topping up.
- 480 ml Hendrick’s or other good-quality gin (see note)
- 120 ml crème de mûre (see note)
- 375 ml (1½ cups) lemon juice
- To serve: crushed ice
- To serve: soda water
- 150 gm blackberries
- 125 gm caster sugar
- 1For blackberry syrup, combine ingredients and 125ml water in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Cook over high heat for 5 minutes, cool, then blend in a blender until smooth. Strain through a fine sieve, set aside.
- 2Combine blackberry syrup, gin, crème de mûre and lemon juice in a jug, stir to combine.
- 3Half fill highball glasses with crushed ice, then pour gin mixture in, to taste. Top with extra ice, add soda water to taste and serve immediately.
Hendrick’s gin and crème de mûre, or blackberry liqueur, are available from specialty bottle shops.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm