- 14 pickling cucumbers (about 150gm each), thinly sliced widthways (see note)
- 2 white onions, halved, thinly sliced
- 85 gm fine sea salt (1/3 cup)
- 1.75 litres white wine vinegar
- 200 gm caster sugar
- 2 tbsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1Combine cucumber, onion, salt and a tray of ice in a large bowl and set aside to remove excess liquid until required.
- 2To sterilise jars and lids, place in a large saucepan of water over high heat and boil for 10 minutes. Carefully remove jars and lids with tongs and set aside open-side up to cool.
- 3Bring vinegar, sugar, mustard seeds and turmeric to the boil in a small saucepan over high heat. Drain cucumber and onion, add to pan, bring liquid back to the boil and remove pan from heat.
- 4Follow steps 6-8 of pickled radish recipe.
Makes about 2 litres. Bread and butter pickles will keep stored in a cool, dry, dark place for three months. You'll need to begin this recipe two weeks ahead. If pickling cucumbers are unavailable, substitute Lebanese cucumbers.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsThe best places to visit in Queenstown, New ZealandYesterday 2:30am