This pudding has no butter in it but otherwise it's very similar to bread and butter pudding. Serve the pudding with a glass of Sauternes for good measure.
- 5 eggs
- 400 ml pouring cream
- 300 ml milk
- 50 gm caster sugar
- 80 ml Sauternes
- 210 gm crustless day-old pain au raisin, cut into 2½cm cubes
- 120 gm caster sugar
- 80 ml clear apple juice (1/3 cup)
- 1Whisk eggs, cream, milk, caster sugar and Sauternes in a bowl to combine, set aside.
- 2Preheat oven to 180C. Scatter bread in a buttered 1-litre ovenproof dish. Pour cream mixture evenly over bread and stand until bread has completely absorbed cream (20-30 minutes). Dust with cinnamon and demerara sugar, then bake until golden and custard is set (30-40 minutes).
- 3Meanwhile, for apple caramel, combine sugar and 80ml water in a saucepan over medium-high heat, stir until sugar dissolves, brushing down sides of pan with a wet pastry brush (1-2 minutes), then cook until caramel (10-12 minutes). Add apple juice (be careful as mixture will spit), then stir until dissolved (1-2 minutes). Cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until chilled.
- 4Serve pudding hot or at room temperature with apple caramel and vanilla ice-cream.