- 300 gm short-grain brown rice
- 400 gm skinless, boneless ocean trout fillet, very thinly sliced
- Diced avocado, furikake, shiso leaves, umeboshi plums and thinly sliced toasted nori (see note), to serve
- 350 gm piece daikon, thinly sliced
- ½ telegraph cucumber, half-peeled and shredded
- 80 ml rice wine vinegar (⅓ cup)
- 40 gm caster sugar
- 30 ml light soy sauce (we've used usukuchi, a Japanese light soy)
- 1 tsp finely grated ginger
- 1For rice dressing, process ingredients, 40ml water and a pinch of salt in a blender or with a hand-held blender to combine.
- 2Cook rice in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until tender (15-20 minutes), then drain and transfer to a bowl. While warm, add dressing and turn rice gently until mixed thoroughly and cooled a little.
- 3Divide rice among bowls, top with remaining ingredients and serve warm or at room temperature.
Furikake is a Japanese seasoning combining bonito flakes, sesame seeds and nori. It's available from Asian and Japanese grocers and select health-food shops. Shiso leaves, umeboshi plums and shredded toasted nori are available from Asian and Japanese grocers.