- 4 egg yolks
- 80 gm caster sugar
- 1 litre (4 cups) milk
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
- 20 gm butter
- 300 gm (1½ cups) carnaroli rice
- 40 ml dessert wine
- To serve: natural yoghurt (optional)
- 220 gm caster sugar
- 2 mandarins, juice only
- 1 lemon, thinly peeled rind and juice only
- 200 gm rhubarb stalks (about 1/3 bunch), halved widthways, thinly sliced lengthways on a mandolin
- 1For poached rhubarb, combine sugar, juices, peel and 250ml water in a saucepan over medium heat, stir until sugar dissolves, increase heat to high, bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low, simmer to infuse (6-8 minutes), add rhubarb, cook until tender (1 minute). Remove from heat, set aside.
- 2Meanwhile, whisk yolks and sugar in a bowl until thick and pale (3-4 minutes), set aside until required. Combine milk, vanilla bean and seeds in a large saucepan, bring just to the boil, remove from heat, remove vanilla bean and keep warm.
- 3Melt butter in a separate saucepan over medium heat, add rice, stir to coat and toast (1-2 minutes). Add wine and stir continuously until wine evaporates (1-2 minutes). Add hot milk mixture, 250ml at a time, stirring continuously until milk is absorbed before adding more. When rice is al dente (25-30 minutes), stir in egg yolk mixture and cook until thick (1-2 minutes). Remove from heat, divide among bowls, spoon over rhubarb and serve immediately with natural yoghurt, if desired.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsA year-round travel guide to Austria's western AlpsYesterday 12:00am