You can prepare the butter ahead of time and have it on hand for when unexpected guests pop in. It works equally well on grilled fish.
- 30 scallops on the half shell
- 150 gm mild flat pancetta, cut into lardons
- To serve: baby herbs, cress and lemon wedges
- To serve: crusty bread (optional)
Brown bread butter
- 250 gm softened butter
- 80 gm fresh fine brown or rye breadcrumbs
- ½ cup finely chopped mixed herbs, such as flat-leaf parsley, basil, thyme and dill (loosely packed)
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon and juice of ½
- 1For brown bread butter, beat butter in an electric mixer until light and fluffy (1-2 minutes). Add remaining ingredients and beat to just combine. Spoon butter along the length of a 30cm-long piece of plastic wrap, roll to form a long sausage, then pinch ends and roll to form a tight cylinder. Refrigerate until firm or until required (2-3 hours; brown bread butter will keep refrigerated for up to 1 week).
- 2Preheat grill to high heat. Place half the scallops on a tray lined with foil. Slice half the butter into rounds, place on top of scallops, then top with pancetta and grill until scallops are cooked through and pancetta is crisp (3-5 minutes). Repeat with remaining scallops, butter and pancetta. Scatter with herbs and cress and serve warm with lemon wedges and bread.