These are great for a barbecue. The mozzarella softens deliciously over the char-grilled sourdough.
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- For brushing: olive oil
- 3 zucchini, thinly sliced lengthways on a mandolin
- 1 cup (loosely packed) mint, torn
- 60 ml (¼ cup) extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra to serve
- 4 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- Diced flesh of 1 lemon plus juice of ½, or to taste
- 250 gm buffalo mozzarella, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1Bring a barbecue to high heat. Brush bread with oil and grill, turning once, until charred, golden and warm (2 minutes each side). Keep warm on the side of the barbecue or in a low oven.
- 2Meanwhile, brush zucchini with oil, then grill, turning once, until charred and tender (1-2 minutes each side).
- 3Combine mint, oil, anchovies, lemon flesh and juice in a bowl. Season with pepper and a little salt (the anchovies will be salty). Add zucchini and toss to combine.
- 4To serve, top warm toast with mozzarella then zucchini and drizzle with extra olive oil.
Drink Suggestion: Tangy white Italian vernaccia. Drink suggestion by Max Allen