Try to get hold of corned wagyu beef to make this down-home comfort food extra luxe.
- 800 gm piece corned beef (see note)
- 6 cloves
- 3 fresh bay leaves
- 2 onions, coarsely chopped
- 850 gm kennebec or coliban potatoes, coarsely chopped (about 3)
- 375 gm carrots, coarsely chopped (about 2)
- 1 turnip, coarsely chopped
- 50 ml vegetable oil
- 200 gm cavolo nero, coarsely chopped
- 6 eggs
- 1Combine corned beef in a large saucepan with cloves, bay leaf and half the onion, and cover generously with cold water. Bring to the boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium and simmer until corned beef is tender (1¾-2 hours). Drain, then coarsely shred meat with two forks and set aside.
- 2Meanwhile, preheat oven to 200C. Combine potato, carrot and turnip in a roasting pan, drizzle with 2 tbsp oil, season to taste, toss to combine, roast until vegetables are tender (30-40 minutes), then set aside.
- 3Heat remaining oil in a large frying pan over low heat, add remaining onion and stir occasionally until caramelised (8-10 minutes). Increase heat to medium-high, add corned beef, roasted vegetables and cavolo nero, stir frequently until golden brown (5-6 minutes), then season to taste.
- 4Meanwhile, bring a saucepan of water to a gentle simmer, break in eggs, in batches, and poach until soft-poached (2-3 minutes). Remove with a slotted spoon, keep warm.
- 5Divide bubble and squeak among plates, top with a poached egg and serve with HP or plum sauce.
Note You may need to order corned beef ahead from your butcher.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsMade in India: the designers and makers of BengaluruYesterday 4:59am