- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 4 duck Marylands
- 2 onions, quartered
- 8 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 dried long red chillies, soaked in hot water for 10 minutes, drained
- ½ lemongrass stalk, white part only, finely chopped
- 250 ml peanut oil (1 cup)
- 600 gm waxy potatoes, such as kipfler, bintje or Dutch cream, cut into 3cm pieces
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1Combine fish sauce, turmeric and ½ tsp fine sea salt in a bowl, add duck, toss to combine, cover and refrigerate to marinate (30 minutes-1 hour).
- 2Pulse onion, garlic, chilli and lemongrass in a food processor until very finely chopped (2-3 minutes), set aside.
- 3Heat oil in a large saucepan, add potato and fry over high heat, turning occasionally, until golden (7-8 minutes), remove and set aside until required. Add duck legs (reserve marinade), fry until browned (4-5 minutes), transfer with a slotted spoon to a plate lined with absorbent paper, set aside.
- 4Reduce heat to medium, add onion mixture and reserved marinade, stir occasionally until caramelised (15-20 minutes), then stir through paprika.
- 5Return duck and potato to pan, add 250ml water, stir to combine, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until duck is tender (45 minutes-1 hour). Skim fat from surface (optional), scatter with coriander, serve hot with steamed jasmine rice.
Drink Suggestion: Off-dry fruity rosé. Drink suggestion by Max Allen