- 300 gm raspberries
- 125 ml honey (½ cup)
- 500 ml milk (2 cups)
- 250 ml pouring cream (1 cup)
- 5 egg yolks
- 110 gm caster sugar (½ cup)
- 450 gm plain flour (3 cups)
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 3 tsp dried yeast
- 60 ml milk (¼ cup)
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten, plus extra for brushing
- 250 gm unsalted butter, softened
- 1For burnt honey ice-cream, cook honey in a heavy-based saucepan over medium heat for 5 minutes or until dark coloured, add 2 tbsp cold water and remove from
heat immediately. Heat milk and cream in a separate saucepan and bring almost to
the boil. Place egg yolks and sugar in a bowl and whisk until thick and pale, gradually whisk in hot milk mixture, then burnt honey. Return mixture to saucepan and stir over low heat until mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Do not boil. Remove from heat and strain through a fine sieve into a bowl and cool. Freeze mixture in an ice-cream machine according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- 2For brioche, combine flour, sugar and yeast in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook, slowly mix until combined, then, with motor running, add milk and beaten egg and mix until a dough forms. Add butter, in batches, beating until each addition has been incorporated before adding the next, until dough is smooth and shiny. Transfer dough to an oiled bowl, cover and stand in a draught-free place for 1 hour or until doubled in size. Knock down dough and place into a greased and floured 3 litre-capacity loaf pan, cover and stand for 1 hour or until doubled in size. Preheat oven to 180C. Brush brioche with extra beaten egg and bake for 40 minutes or until golden. Turn onto a wire rack to cool. Brioche will keep in an airtight container for up to 2 days or frozen for up to 2 weeks.
- 3Using a bread knife, cut 2cm slices of brioche and toast under a grill. Halve brioche slices lengthways, scatter with raspberries, top with a scoop of burnt honey ice-cream, sandwich with remaining half and serve immediately.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm