For a fabulous breakfast, supper or snack, use a good-quality cultured butter as this will impart a distinct flavour. A poached egg makes a nice addition.
- 400 gm mixed mushrooms, such as pine, Swiss brown and field mushrooms
- 150 gm cultured butter (see note), coarsely chopped
- 2 golden shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 lemons, finely grated rind and juice only
- ½ cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped oregano
- To serve: buttered toasted baguette
- To serve: lemon wedges
- 1Brush mushrooms clean, halve larger ones and set aside. Heat butter in a large frying pan over medium-high heat until foaming. Add shallot and garlic and cook until soft (4-5 minutes). Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, until just tender (4-5 minutes). Add lemon rind and juice, herbs, season to taste and serve with buttered toasted baguettes and lemon wedges.
Cultured butter has lactic acid cultures added to it, imparting a slightly tangy flavour.
Drink Suggestion: Bier de Garde. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsA year-round travel guide to Austria's western AlpsYesterday 12:00am