This salad is robust enough to be made ahead of time and transported to a picnic. Alternatively, you could transport the vegetables and the dressing separately and combine them when you get there.
- 500 gm white cabbage, shredded (about ¼ cabbage)
- 1 baby fennel bulb, thinly shaved on a mandolin, fronds reserved
- 1 celery heart, shaved on a mandolin, leaves picked and coarsely torn
- 3 salad onions, thinly shaved on a mandolin
- 120 gm good-quality whole-egg mayonnaise
- 100 gm sour cream
- ¼ cup finely chopped tarragon, plus extra leaves, coarsely torn, to serve
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1Combine cabbage, fennel, celery heart and leaves (reserve some to garnish) and salad onion in a bowl, season to taste, toss to combine.
- 2Combine mayonnaise, sour cream, tarragon, lemon rind, juice and garlic in a separate bowl, season to taste and mix well to combine. Add to cabbage mixture, toss to combine, scatter over reserved celery leaves, fennel fronds and extra tarragon and serve.
Drink Suggestion: Herbaceous semillon sauvignon blanc blend. Drink suggestion by Max Allen