Grilling the corn and calamari heavily will add depth here. Timing is crucial, cook the corn first, then have everything ready to pile on top of the calamari as soon as it finishes cooking.
- 3 corn cobs, husks and silks removed
- Neutral-flavoured oil, such as olive oil or grapeseed oil, for brushing
- 6 calamari (about 150gm each), cleaned, hoods halved lengthways and patted dry with paper towels
- 16 tortillas, to serve
- Edible flowers (optional), sour cream and hot sauce, to serve
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño, finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- ½ cup coarsely chopped coriander
- 60 ml (¼ cup) neutral-flavoured oil, such as grapeseed
- 1Preheat a barbecue, preferably charcoal, or a char-grill pan to high. Brush corn with oil and cook, turning occasionally, until slightly charred and kernels are tender (15-20 minutes). Cool briefly, then slice off kernels with a sharp knife.
- 2For salsa verde, combine ingredients in a bowl and season to taste.
- 3Brush calamari with oil and grill, turning occasionally until charred, opaque and just cooked through (3-4 minutes). Cut into bite-sized pieces and serve in tortillas with corn, sour cream, hot sauce, salsa verde and edible flowers.
Wine suggestion Fruity sauvignon blanc or sémillon-sauvignon blend. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesHam and cheese toasties with quick-pickled cucumberYesterday 3:00am