There are few pleasures sweeter than a refreshing fruity cocktail to beat the heat. Make this ahead and have it chilling in the fridge, ready to go. This recipe makes about 2 litres.
- 150 gm caster sugar
- 1.5 kg watermelon (about ½ small watermelon)
- 150 ml Campari
- 150 ml gin
- Juice of 3 limes, or to taste
- To taste: soda water
- 1Stir sugar in 150ml boiling water in a bowl to dissolve (2-3 minutes), then set aside over a bowl of iced water to chill.
- 2Process watermelon in a blender until smooth, then combine with sugar syrup and remaining ingredients except soda water and strain through a coarse sieve into a serving jug.
- 3To serve, fill tumblers with ice, pour in watermelon cocktail to three-quarters full and top up with soda water.