This much-loved dish is often served as a starter or shared plate. It's best kept simple: choose high-quality beef, slice it thin, be discerning with the toppings and serve with grissini on the side.
- 200 gm piece of beef fillet, trimmed of sinew
- 2 king brown mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 4 Swiss brown mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 50 gm (⅔ cup) shavings of parmesan
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Grissini and lemon wedges, to serve
- 1Roll beef tightly in plastic wrap to form a cylinder, then freeze until just firm (about 1 hour).
- 2Thinly slice beef across the grain, remove plastic wrap, and arrange on a platter. Scatter over mushrooms and parmesan. Drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil and season to taste. Serve with grissini and wedges of lemon.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsThe best places to visit in Queenstown, New ZealandYesterday 2:30am