- 260 gm carrots (about 2), coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp pouring cream
- 60 gm chilled butter, diced
- 70 ml milk
- 7 gm (1 sachet) dried yeast
- 480 gm (3 1/3 cups) plain flour, plus extra for rolling
- 180 gm caster sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon, plus extra to serve
- ¼ tsp finely grated nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 2 egg yolks
- For deep-frying: vegetable oil
Brown sugar crumb
- 35 gm plain flour
- 30 gm brown sugar
- 20 gm softened butter
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
Cream cheese glaze
- 80 gm caster sugar
- 250 gm cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1Boil carrots until very tender (15-20 minutes), then drain and purée with cream in a blender. Set aside. Meanwhile, cook butter in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, swirling pan occasionally, until nut brown (2-3 minutes). Set aside to cool.
- 2Warm milk to blood temperature (37C) in a saucepan over low heat, remove from heat, whisk in yeast and set aside to foam (4-5 minutes).
- 3Mix flour, sugar, spices and a pinch of salt to combine in an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook. Add eggs, yeast mixture, carrot mixture and brown butter and knead until a very soft dough forms (4-5 minutes). Transfer to a lightly buttered bowl, cover with plastic wrap and stand in a warm place until doubled in size (45 minutes to 1 hour).
- 4Meanwhile, for brown sugar crumb, preheat oven to 180C. Rub ingredients and a pinch of salt together in a bowl until mixture resembles coarse crumbs, spread on a baking tray lined with baking paper and bake until golden brown (4-5 minutes). Set aside to cool.
- 5Roll out dough on a floured surface to 1cm thick. Cut out 7cm-diameter rounds with a floured cutter, cut out the centres with a 2.5cm cutter and place on trays lined with baking paper, leaving enough space for dough to spread (re-roll centres and scraps once). Cover with plastic wrap and stand until risen by half (45-50 minutes).
- 6For cream cheese glaze, stir sugar and 40ml water in a saucepan over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves, bring to the boil and cook until a light syrup forms (1-2 minutes). Beat cream cheese in an electric mixer until fluffy (2-3 minutes), scrape down sides of bowl and beat in syrup. Beat in lemon juice and set aside.
- 7Preheat oil in a large deep-fryer or deep saucepan to 180C and deep-fry doughnuts in batches, turning occasionally, until golden brown and cooked through (3-4 minutes). Drain on paper towels, cool slightly, then dip in cream cheese glaze and scatter with brown sugar crumb. These are best eaten on the day they’re made but will keep glazed in an airtight container for a day.
Drink Suggestion: Black coffee. Drink suggestion by Max Allen