Sausages are the pasta cheat's best friend, bringing an instant hit of flavour and richness. And, of course, the better the sausage, the better the flavour hit.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 thin pork sausages (about 100gm each), removed from casings and crumbled
- 500 gm cauliflower (about ½ head), cut into florets
- 4 small garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 100 gm Swiss brown mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 100 gm chestnut mushrooms, trimmed
- 125 ml dry white wine
- 400 gm dried casarecce
- Finely chopped flat-leaf parsley and finely grated parmesan, to serve
- 1Heat oil in a frying pan over high heat, add sausage and fry until browned (4-5 minutes). Add cauliflower and fry until golden (2-3 minutes), add garlic and stir until fragrant (1 minute), then add mushrooms and fry until tender (2-3 minutes). Deglaze pan with wine and keep warm.
- 2Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until al dente (10-12 minutes). Drain, reserving some of the pasta water, then add pasta and a little water (2-3 tbsp) to sauce, add a sprinkling of parsley, season to taste and toss to combine. Scatter with parmesan and serve.
Drink Suggestion: Gutsy southern-Italian red such as aglianico Drink suggestion by Max Allen