You'll need to begin this recipe a day ahead.
- For brushing and drizzling: extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 small buffalo mozzarella (100gm each), halved and thickly sliced
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes, cored and diced
- 24 basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, halved, for rubbing
- 525 gm (3½ cups) “00” flour
- 115 gm lard (see note)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1For piadina dough, mix flour and lard in an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook until combined. Add olive oil, 250ml water and 1 tsp sea salt and mix until a smooth dough forms (2-4 minutes). Place in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- 2Preheat oven to 140C. Preheat a large chargrill on high heat. Divide dough into eight pieces and, working with one piece at a time, roll to a rough 18cm x 30cm rectangle, brush with olive oil and grill until golden (1-2 minutes). Turn and grill until golden and charred (1-2 minutes), then place a few slices of mozzarella across one end, top with one-eighth of tomato and basil, season to taste and, using a palette knife, carefully roll away from you to form a wrap. Place on a baking-paper-lined oven tray and keep warm in oven. Repeat with remaining dough, mozzarella, tomato and basil. Serve cassone drizzled with extra-virgin olive oil, rubbed with garlic and scattered with sea salt.
Note To render lard, place some chopped pork back fat into a saucepan, add enough water to come 2cm up sides of the pan. Cook very slowly over low heat until the fat renders, strain and refrigerate until set. Alternatively, use melted butter or duck fat.