"This dish just screams of the food of the sun," says Young. "Cauliflower cooked with saffron until it's beautifully sweet, topped with Reggiano and crumbs and baked until golden."
- 200 ml chicken stock, plus extra for topping up
- Pinch of saffron threads
- 1 small cauliflower (about 650gm), trimmed, cut into florets
- 40 gm finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 30 gm dried coarse breadcrumbs
- 1Preheat oven to 200C. Bring stock and saffron to the boil over medium-high heat in a saucepan large enough to hold cauliflower, add cauliflower, season to taste, reduce heat to medium and simmer until cauliflower is tender but not mushy (5-6 minutes; top up with extra stock if necessary). Remove cauliflower with a slotted spoon, shake off excess liquid and transfer to a 1.5-litre gratin dish. Continue simmering stock until reduced to a glaze (2-3 minutes), then pour glaze over cauliflower, season to taste and mix well to combine. Scatter Parmigiano-Reggiano and breadcrumbs over and bake until golden (10-12 minutes). Serve hot.