Nothing says comfort like a bowl of cauliflower soup when the weather starts to turn. Top with sharp grated cheddar for a little extra indulgence.
- 40 gm softened butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 8 streaky bacon rashers, diced
- 1 tbsp rosemary
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 small cauliflower (about 1kg), coarsely chopped
- 500 ml (2 cups) chicken stock
- 2 tbsp crème fraîche (or to taste)
- Croûtons, to serve
- 1Heat butter and oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat, add bacon and fry, stirring occasionally, until crisp (10-12 minutes). Add rosemary and stir until it starts to turn crisp (1 minute). Reserve bacon, rosemary and fat separately.
- 2Add half the reserved fat to a saucepan over medium heat, add onion and garlic and stir until softened (10-12 minutes). Add cauliflower, stock and 500ml water, bring to the boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer until cauliflower is tender (10-15 minutes). Remove from heat, add crème fraîche, blend with a hand-held blender until smooth and season to taste. Serve topped with bacon, rosemary and croûtons, and drizzle over remaining fat to taste.