The nuttiness of roasted cauliflower, the creaminess of labne, the sweetness of dates. This autumnal cauliflower salad hits all the right notes.
- ½ small cauliflower (about 500gm), cut into florets
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp fennel seeds, coarsely crushed
- 1 tsp coriander seeds, coarsely crushed
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 200 gm labne, to serve
- 400 gm canned chickpeas, drained
- ½ small fennel bulb, thinly sliced, fronds reserved
- 4 medjool dates, thinly sliced
- 1 golden shallot, thinly sliced
- ½ preserved lemon rind, finely chopped
- Handful of mint and coriander (optional), coarsely chopped
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Juice of 1 lemon (or to taste)
- 1Preheat oven to 200°C. Add cauliflower to a roasting pan, drizzle with oil, scatter with fennel seeds, coriander seeds and cayenne, season to taste and roast, turning once, until golden (30-40 minutes).
- 2Spread labne on a plate and top with cauliflower. Combine chickpeas, fennel, date, shallot, lemon rind and herbs in a bowl, dress with olive oil and lemon juice, season to taste and scatter with fennel fronds to serve.