A thick slab of golden roasted cauliflower is the hero on the plate here, served with a nutty grain salad.
- 150 gm black barley (see note)
- 100 gm cracked freekeh
- 400 gm canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2⁄3 cup (firmly packed) mint
- 2⁄3 cup (firmly packed) flat-leaf parsley
- 50 gm pepitas
- 50 gm pistachio nuts, coarsely chopped
- 30 gm dried goji berries
- 1⁄2 small Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cauliflower, cut through the stalk into 4 x 2cm-thick slices
- 130 ml extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- Juice of 1 lemon, or to taste
- 1⁄2 preserved lemon, rind only, rinsed and diced
- 1 small garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1Cook barley in a large saucepan of boiling water until tender, adding freekeh in the last 20 minutes of cooking (40-45 minutes). Drain and transfer to a bowl to cool, then add chickpeas, herbs, pepitas, pistachio nuts, goji berries and onion.
- 2Meanwhile, preheat oven to 200°C. Place cauliflower slices on a baking tray lined with baking paper, drizzle with oil, season, then turn and repeat. Roast until golden brown (12-15 minutes), turn and roast until tender (8-10 minutes).
- 3Dry-roast coriander and cumin seeds in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until fragrant (30 seconds), then crush and combine in a bowl with extra-virgin olive oil, lemon juice, preserved lemon and garlic, and season to taste. Add to barley mixture, season, toss to combine and serve with cauliflower steaks.
Black barley is available from select delicatessens. If it's unavailable, substitute pearl barley.
Drink Suggestion: A toasty bottle aged sémillon. Drink suggestion by Max Allen.