The caviar used here is from French farmed sturgeon - delicate, low in salt and in full production - instead of wild sturgeon, which is now endangered.
- 50 gm caviar
- To serve: crème fraîche and finely chopped Spanish onion
- For spreading: Echiré butter, softened
- 6 slices soft white bread, crusts removed
- ½ cup each (loosely packed) dill and flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- ½ bunch chives, finely chopped
- 1For herb sandwiches, lightly butter the bread slices. Combine herbs in a bowl, then scatter herbs over half the buttered slices. Sandwich with remaining bread and cut four rounds from each sandwich using a 5cm-diameter cutter. Cover sandwiches with a dampened piece of absorbent paper until required and serve with caviar over ice, crème fraîche and onion to the side.