- 500 gm “00” flour (3 1/3 cups)
- 100 gm lard, melted
- For brushing: olive oil
- 2 buffalo mozzarella (about 200gm each), coarsely torn
- To serve: coarsely torn basil
- 3 zucchini, thinly sliced lengthways on a mandolin
- 120 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 small red chillies, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1Combine flour, lard and 2 tsp sea salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook and mix to combine. With motor running, gradually add 200ml hot water, then knead until smooth and elastic (2-3 minutes).
- 2Meanwhile, for marinated zucchini, preheat a char-grill pan over high heat, brush zucchini slices on both sides with a little oil and char-grill in batches, turning once, until tender and golden (1 minute each side). Heat remaining oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat, add garlic and chilli, cook to infuse (1-2 minutes), remove from heat, add lemon juice, season to taste, add zucchini and set aside to marinate.
- 3Preheat oven to 120C. Divide dough into 6 pieces and, working with one piece at a time, roll out into a rough 3mm-thick rectangle, brush both sides with a little olive oil and cook in a char-grill pan over high heat, turning once, until golden (2-3 minutes), then place on an oven tray lined with baking paper and keep warm in oven. Repeat with remaining dough. Serve piadine scattered with marinated zucchini, mozzarella and torn basil.