You'll need to begin this recipe a day ahead.
- 400 gm crusty white bread, thickly sliced, left at room temperature overnight to dry
- 2 garlic cloves, halved
- 1.5 litres (6 cups) veal stock
- 250 ml dry white wine
- 1 tsp thyme
- 150 gm Fontina, coarsely grated
- 150 gm Münster or Emmenthal, coarsely grated
- 100 gm parmesan, finely grated
- 1Preheat oven to 180C. Rub bread slices with cut sides of one garlic clove (discard garlic) and set aside.
- 2Bring stock, wine and thyme to the boil in a saucepan over high heat, season generously with finely ground black pepper, add sea salt to taste.
- 3Rub the inside of a 3½-litre casserole with remaining garlic (discard garlic), layer with bread and cheese, finishing with a scatter of cheese, then pour over stock mixture and bake, pushing bread down occasionally, until cheese is melted and bread is golden on top (30-40 minutes). Serve hot.