- 100 gm chilled unsalted butter, diced
- 100 gm (2/3 cup) plain flour
- 50 gm Pyengana cheddar (see note), coarsely grated
- 50 gm parmesan, finely grated, plus extra for dusting
- ½ tsp mustard powder
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- For brushing: eggwash
- 1Preheat oven to 180C. Process butter, flour, cheeses, mustard powder, cayenne pepper and a pinch of salt in a food processor to combine, then pulse until mixture comes together (1-2 minutes). Turn onto a lightly floured surface, knead until smooth, form into a disc and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate to rest (30 minutes).
- 2Roll out on a lightly floured surface to 5mm thick, cut out 3cm-diameter rounds or small rectangles, place on oven trays lined with baking paper, brush with eggwash and scatter with extra parmesan. Bake until golden (8-10 minutes), set aside to cool on trays, then store in an airtight container. Cheese biscuits will keep for 3 days.
Pyengana cheddar is available from select delicatessens and David Jones food halls. If it’s unavailable, substitute another good-quality cheddar.
This recipe is from the September 2012 issue of
Drink Suggestion: NV Diebolt-Vallois Brut Tradition Champagne, France. Drink suggestion by Campbell Burton