You will need to begin this recipe 1 day ahead.
- 1 wheel of ripe washed-rind cheese, such as L’Edel de Cleron
- 1 wheel of ripe ewe’s milk cheese, such as Fleur de Marquis
- 700 gm red grapes, plus extra to serve
- 2 Granny Smith apples, coarsely chopped
- 80 ml lemon juice, seeds reserved (1/3 cup)
- 440 gm white sugar (2 cups)
- 220 gm wholemeal flour
- 80 gm oatmeal (¾ cup)
- 80 gm finely chopped walnuts (¾ cup)
- 2 tbsp fresh coarsely ground black pepper
- 100 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 1For grape jelly, place grapes in a large saucepan and coarsely crush using a wooden spoon. Add apple, lemon juice and seeds and 2 litres of water and simmer over low-medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour. Strain through a muslin-lined sieve into a large bowl. Measure 1 litre of liquid (discarding excess and pulp), combine with sugar in a large saucepan, then stir over low heat for 5 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium, simmer for 1 hour or until jelly reaches setting point (see note). Remove from heat and stand for 10 minutes, skim scum from surface and ladle into sterile jars. Seal and invert jars for 2 minutes, then turn jars upright, cool to room temperature and refrigerate overnight. Makes about 2 cups. Store in refrigerator for up to 3 weeks or until needed.
- 2Meanwhile, for oat biscuits, preheat oven to 170C. Process flour, oatmeal, walnuts, pepper, butter and 1 tsp salt in a food processor until mixture resembles coarse crumbs, add 2/3 cup of water and process until a dough forms. Roll dough out
on a lightly floured surface to 3mm thick, then using a 7cm-diameter cutter, cut out rounds and place on a baking paper-lined oven tray. Re-roll excess dough and repeat. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until pale golden and cool completely on oven tray. Makes about 20 biscuits. Store oat biscuits in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
- 3Serve cheeses at room temperature with grape jelly, oat biscuits and grapes.
Note To test for setting point, place 1 tsp of jelly mixture on a cold saucer in the freezer for 2 minutes until cold, push with a fingertip and if it wrinkles, it's ready.
Drink Suggestion: Spicy, peppery shiraz. Drink suggestion by Max Allen