There's a lot packed into these pot pies. Ricotta, haloumi and goat's cheese represent the cheese department, and there's plenty of leafy greens and soft herbs too: silverbeet, kale, spinach, plus dill and parsley, with the lot coddled in warm puff pastry. Cook the golden shallots until they're soft and sweet – this will help counter the bitterness of the greens.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 70 gm slightly salted butter, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 bunch each silverbeet, green kale and spinach, stalks and leaves separated, stems finely chopped, leaves torn
- 1 bunch each finely chopped dill and flat-leaf parsley and stalks
- 1 tsp each dry-roasted cumin, coriander and fennel seeds,
crushed, plus extra, for scattering
- Pinch each of ground allspice and ground cinnamon
- 2½ tbsp plain flour
- 375 ml vegetable stock
- Rind of 2 lemons, plus 2½ tbsp juice or to taste
- 150 gm firm ricotta, drained, crumbled
- 150 gm soft goat's cheese, crumbled
- 150 gm haloumi, drained, grated
- 1 large zucchini, cut into 5mm pieces
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, defrosted (see note)
- 1 egg and 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten, for eggwash
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 70 gm slightly salted butter
- 10 golden shallots, cut into thin wedges
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 2 tsp Sherry vinegar
- 1or caramelised shallots, heat oil and butter in a heavy-based non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add shallots and stir frequently until beginning to colour (6 minutes). Scatter over sugar and stir until caramelised (8 minutes). Stir in vinegar, season to taste, and remove from heat.
- 2For filling, heat oil and butter in a large wide stockpot or saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic, stalks from greens and spices, and cook, stirring occasionally, until stalks begin
to soften (5 minutes). Reduce heat to medium, add leaves and half the herbs, in batches if necessary, and cook, stirring until wilted. Scatter over flour and stir for 2 minutes. Gradually stir in stock and cook until liquid has thickened and coats the wilted leaves, and season to taste (5 minutes).
- 3Remove from heat, stir in remaining herbs, lemon rind and juice, cheeses, zucchini and caramelised shallots, season to taste and toss to combine. Divide mixture among four 250ml (10cm wide) heatproof dishes. Set aside to cool slightly. Preheat oven to 180°C fan-forced.
- 4Meanwhile, cut four 12cm-diameter rounds from the pastry (or large enough to fit top of dishes). Top each dish with pastry, pressing gently to seal. Brush with eggwash and freeze for 15 minutes. Scatter with extra spices and salt flakes, and bake until golden and puffed (30 minutes).
We prefer to use Carême puff pastry, which comes in pre-rolled 375gm sheets.