It isn't easy to find fresh sour cherries in Australia, so we've added a little shop-bought sour cherry syrup to our homemade syrup to give it an extra kick. You'll need to begin this recipe a day ahead.
Cherry ripe ice-cream
- 1.2 litres milk
- 300 ml pouring cream
- 400 gm desiccated coconut
- 100 gm cherries, pitted, coarsely chopped
- 100 ml condensed milk
- 75 gm dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids), finely chopped
- 180 gm caster sugar
- 7 egg yolks
- 350 gm caster sugar
- 200 gm cherries, pitted
- 60 ml sour cherry syrup, or to taste (see note) (¼ cup)
- 1For cherry ripe ice-cream, combine milk, cream and 300gm desiccated coconut in a large saucepan over medium heat, bring to the simmer, simmer for 5 minutes, cool to room temperature then refrigerate to infuse (overnight). Strain infused liquid through a fine sieve lined with muslin, pressing to extract 750ml liquid (discard solids). Transfer liquid to a saucepan, set aside. Combine cherries, condensed milk, chocolate and remaining coconut in a bowl, stir to combine, press mixture into a 15cm square tin lined with plastic wrap, refrigerate until firm (1 hour). Meanwhile, whisk sugar and yolks in a bowl until pale and creamy. Bring coconut liquid just to the simmer over medium heat, then pour onto yolk mixture, whisking continuously to combine. Return mixture to a clean saucepan, stir continuously over low heat until mixture coats the back of a wooden spoon thickly (12-14 minutes). Strain into a bowl placed over ice and stir occasionally until cool, then freeze in an ice-cream machine. Turn out cherry ripe slice, coarsely chop and stir through ice-cream mixture, then freeze until firm. Makes about 750ml.
- 2Meanwhile, for cherry syrup, combine sugar and 150ml water in a saucepan over medium heat, stir to dissolve sugar then add cherries and cook until syrupy (20-25 minutes). Cool, add sour cherry syrup to taste, set aside.
- 3Scoop cherry ripe ice-cream into bowls or ice-cream coupes, top with cherry syrup. Place scoops of vanilla ice-cream in tall glasses, add cherry syrup to taste, top with lemonade and serve with sundae.
Note Sour cherry syrup is available from select delicatessens.