- 2 chicken carcasses
- 1 each onion, carrot and celery stalk, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic head, halved horizontally
- 10 gm dried porcini mushrooms
- 6 thyme sprigs
- 8 small Swiss brown mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch spinach, trimmed
- To serve: shaved parmesan
Mushroom and mascarpone tortellini
- 175 gm field mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 4 golden shallots, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 150 gm mascarpone
- 2 tbsp each finely chopped thyme and flat-leaf parsley
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- 1 quantity <b><u><a href='http://www.gourmettraveller.com.au/egg-yolk-pasta-dough.htm'>egg-yolk pasta dough</a></b></u>
- For brushing: eggwash
- 1Preheat oven to 200C. Combine chicken carcasses, onion, carrot, celery and garlic in a large roasting pan and roast, turning occasionally, until browned (50 minutes-1 hour). Transfer to a stockpot, add porcini, thyme and 2 litres cold water, bring to the boil over medium-high heat, reduce heat to medium, simmer until well-flavoured (1½-2 hours). Strain into a saucepan, season to taste and keep warm.
- 2Meanwhile, for mushroom and mascarpone tortellini, process mushrooms, shallot and garlic in a food processor until finely chopped. Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat, add mushroom mixture, sauté until fragrant (4-5 minutes), transfer to a bowl and cool. Stir in mascarpone, herbs and lemon rind, season to taste and refrigerate until required. Cut pasta into thirty-two 8.5cm-diameter rounds, keep covered. Place a tablespoon of mushroom mixture in centre of each round, brush edges lightly with eggwash, fold in half, pressing edges firmly to seal. Brush corners with eggwash, bring together and press to seal. Cook, in batches, in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until al dente (2-3 minutes), remove with a slotted spoon, divide among hot bowls.
- 3Meanwhile, add mushrooms to chicken broth, simmer until tender (1-2 minutes), add spinach, then ladle over tortellini. Serve hot, scattered with parmesan.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Travel NewsNew art collections and shows worth travelling forYesterday 5:58am
- Food NewsGourmet Traveller taste tests McDonald’s Wagyu Beef BurgerYesterday 12:35am