This versatile roast is lovely in the warmer months served with a crisp green salad, and when the weather turns cooler, it goes nicely with a barley pilaf or farro to soak up the juices.
- 1 chicken (1.2kg), at room temperature
- 30 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 12 golden shallots, peeled
- 6 figs, halved
- 3 tsp each thyme and rosemary
- 120 ml verjuice
- 1Preheat oven to 180C. Rinse chicken inside and out, pat dry with paper towels and place in a roasting pan. Rub with butter inside and out, scatter shallots in pan, season well and roast until chicken starts to turn golden (1 hour 30 minutes). Add figs and herbs, pour verjuice over and continue roasting, basting occasionally, until chicken is golden and cooked (the juices should run clear when a skewer is inserted in the thigh) and figs are warmed through (6-10 minutes). Strain pan juices into a saucepan and simmer over high heat to reduce until syrupy and glossy (4-6 minutes). Spoon over chicken and serve.