- 1 whole chicken (about 1.4kg), quartered
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, dry-roasted (see cook's notes) and finely ground
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 400 gm tomatoes, finely chopped.
- 3 chipotle chillies in adobo (see note), finely chopped
- 16 tortillas, to serve
- Sour cream, thinly sliced radish, finely chopped white onion, shredded coriander and lime halves to serve
- 1Preheat oven to 240°C. Toss chicken in half the oil in a roasting pan, season with salt and roast until golden and juices run clear when a thigh is pierced with a skewer (45-50 minutes). Cool briefly.
- 2Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a large, deep frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and cumin and stir until onion is softened and starting to turn golden (7-8 minutes). Add garlic, stir until fragrant (20-30 seconds), then add tomato and chipotle chilli and simmer until slightly thickened (4-5 minutes).
- 3Shred chicken (discard bones) and add to sauce. Deglaze roasting pan with 50ml water, scraping base of pan, and pour pan juices into sauce. Cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens a little (5-6 minutes). Season to taste.
- 4Serve chicken tinga in warm tortillas with sour cream, radish, onion, coriander and lime.
Chipotle chillies in adobo are available from select delicatessens and online from fireworksfoods.com.au.
Cook's notes: To dry-roast spices, cook in a dry pan, stirring until medium-high heat until fragrant. Cooking time varies.
Drink suggestion: A rich amber ale. Drink suggestion by Max Allen.