These grilled chicken meatballs are real crowd-pleasers. They can be made ahead so they're ready for the pan or, as per tradition, the charcoal burner. Soak the wooden skewers in water for half an hour before using them to prevent them burning.
- 500 gm finely minced chicken
- ½ Spanish onion, finely diced
- 2 tsp finely grated lemon rind
- 1 tbsp peanut oil
- 3 tsp roasted white sesame seeds
- 1½ tbsp sea salt flakes
Yuzu dipping sauce
- 2 tbsp yuzu juice (see note)
- 2 tbsp sashimi soy sauce or Japanese light soy sauce
- 1Combine chicken, onion and lemon rind in a bowl, season to taste with sea salt flakes, then slap together in your hands to bring together and make proteins more elastic. Form heaped tablespoons of mixture into balls and thread 2 onto each wooden skewer.
- 2Heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat, add skewers in batches and fry, turning occasionally, until golden and cooked (5-7 minutes). Set aside on absorbent paper.
- 3Meanwhile, for sesame salt, pound sesame seeds and salt in a mortar and pestle to form a fine salt and set aside.
- 4For yuzu dipping sauce, mix ingredients in a bowl to combine and set aside.
- 5Serve chicken skewers with sesame salt and yuzu dipping sauce.
Drink Suggestion: Tangy, cloudy wheat beer. Drink suggestion by Max Allen