Based on Richard Olney's recipe in Simple French Food.
- 1.8 kg chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 4 heads garlic, cloves separated and unpeeled
- 60 ml extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling (¼ cup)
- ¼ tsp each dried thyme, dried oregano and dried savoury
- ½ cup plain flour
- 1 stalk celery, cut into 3 pieces
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 3 stalks parsley
- 1 piece leek, top part only, rinsed
- 1Place chicken, garlic, oil and herbs in a large casserole dish, season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and combine. Tie bouquet garni ingredients together using kitchen twine and add to casserole, cover with lid.
- 2Preheat oven to 180C. In a small bowl combine flour, a drizzle of olive oil and enough water to form a dough. Roll dough into a sausage shape long enough to fit around the edge of casserole. Press to seal the lid and dish together. Cook for 1 hour and 45 minutes.
- 3To serve, place casserole on the table, break pastry seal and discard, along with bouquet garni. Serve chicken pieces with roasted garlic cloves, squeezed from their skins, sautéed potatoes and a green salad, if desired.