Full-flavoured summer tomatoes at their peak make this the perfect raw soup - we've added a little richness to the equation with just enough avocado to give a silky texture, but not enough to overpower the clean flavour of the tomatoes. As with any chilled soup, be sure to season this generously - the flavour is dulled when the soup is chilled.
- 8 large ripe tomatoes, diced
- ½ red capsicum, seeded and diced
- 1 long red chilli, thickly sliced
- Juice of 1 lime, or to taste
- ¼ cup basil, plus extra leaves to serve
- ¼ cup oregano
- ½ avocado, diced
- ½ Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2½ tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 200 gm mixed cherry tomatoes, halved or sliced
- Dried chilli flakes, to serve
- 1Blend large tomatoes, capsicum, chilli and lime juice in a blender until very smooth. Add herbs, avocado, onion and garlic, season generously to taste and blend until smooth. Add oil, blend to combine, check seasoning and adjust with extra lime juice if necessary, then refrigerate to chill thoroughly (2-3 hours).
- 2To serve, divide soup among chilled bowls, scatter with cherry tomatoes, basil and chilli flakes, and drizzle with extra olive oil.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsMargaret River travel guide: the best places to eatYesterday 10:48pm