This recipe is inspired by a traditional Chinese beer fish recipe. We've added fried garlic and shallots, and a good squeeze of lime for extra zing.
- 50 ml vegetable oil
- 500 gm skinless ocean trout fillet, pin-boned, cut into 2.5cm pieces
- 15 gm piece ginger, cut into julienne
- 8 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 long red chilli, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp Chinese roasted chilli paste (see note)
- 300 gm cherry tomatoes, halved
- 180 ml lager, such as Tsingtao
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Chinkiang vinegar
- To serve: steamed Asian greens and steamed rice
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 120 gm (1½ cups) bean sprouts, trimmed
Fried garlic and shallots
- For deep-frying: vegetable oil
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced on a mandolin
- 6 red shallots, thinly sliced on a mandolin
- 1For fried shallots and garlic, heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat to 180C. Add garlic in batches (don’t overcrowd the oil) and stir until golden and crisp (1-2 minutes; careful, hot oil may spit). Remove with a slotted spoon, drain on paper towels, and repeat with shallots. Set aside until required.
- 2Heat half the oil in a large wok over high heat until very hot and stir-fry fish, turning occasionally, until golden (1-2 minutes). Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Discard oil, wipe wok clean and heat remaining oil over high heat until very hot. Add ginger, garlic and chilli, and stir-fry until fragrant (30 seconds to 1 minute). Stir in chilli paste, then add tomatoes and stir-fry until starting to break down (2-3 minutes). Add beer, soy sauce and vinegar, bring to the simmer, season to taste, then return fish to pan and stir to heat through (1-2 minutes). Serve hot with steamed greens and rice, and scattered with spring onions, bean sprouts, and fried garlic and shallots.
Note Chinese roasted chilli paste, a mixture of roasted chilli flakes and garlic in oil, is available from select Asian grocers.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm